Online Hunting Season is on!
Keep reading for Rummel Agency’s 10-Point BUCKet list for safe online hunting this season!
Retailers are expecting a record setting year for shopping online. This likely means that while you are shopping for that great deal, others will be shopping for your personal information.
Some things to think about before you head out hunting in the online woods:
- Use a secure internet connection. Never shop while connected to public Wi-Fi because you might not be the only person seeing what you’re typing.
- Update the software on your router and your computer. Your stuff could be on automatic update… but when automatic updates stop working they don’t automatically tell you about it.
- Search links can take you to some strange places. Go directly to store websites and shop at trusted sites you already know. Don’t follow links to sites you’ve never heard of.
- You can avoid some post-holiday blues by not overspending. Have a plan, and stick to it. It’s easy to get yourself way in over your head at this time of the year because you gotta have that great deal!
- Know the total of your purchases and watch your credit card to make sure there are no other charges besides your own.
- The longer you shop, the more likely you’ll get “link happy” and lose track of where you are. If you get lost, take a break.
- Use a credit card instead of a debit card because you’ll likely get better assistance if you wind up with fraudulent charges on a credit card vs. a debit card.
- Use the ship to store option if it’s available (and you don’t mind going to get your stuff).
- Do we have to say “drinking and online shopping don’t mix”?
- If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.