Due to current Michigan “Stay-at-Home” orders, our insurance companies are seeing your financial hardships and doing their part to help by rolling out COVID-19 Insurance Relief Programs. With this order in place, they realize you are not driving as often, which can reduce the risk of you having an automobile accident. Insurance companies, insurance agencies, and policyholders can all agree that your auto policy premiums should be reduced.
Insurance companies *must obtain final state approval for any reduction in premiums.* The majority have a plan in place and have filed for these accommodations. We expect the majority of our insurance companies to have approval by mid-May.
These plans may vary – but most will include payment due-date extensions, extended grace periods for payments in cancel status, waiving late/cancellation fees, and finally, reducing the overall cost of the premium on your current policy.
With final approval, Premium Relief Refunds will be applied automatically to your current balance or refunded to you, should your policy be paid in full. We will continue to watch for these changes to be approved and implemented.
Here is a summary of Insurance Companys’ Premium Relief Plans. Please make sure you are viewing the options for your insurance company. *Plans listed are the most current information we have*
We are here to help you work through any payment issues you may have and offer options available for your circumstances. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com or call 800-572-0939.
*APPROVED* Auto-Owners: Safe At Home Refund – https://www.auto-owners.com/special-message1
- This insurance relief refund will automatically occur. There is no action needed on behalf of your agent or you, the policyholder.
- The refund will be processed upon regulatory approval. We expect this will take place during the month of May.
- Policyholders who are enrolled in the Customer Center can log in and view their refund notice in the document section. If you are not enrolled in the Customer Center, you can enroll by clicking Enroll Now link: Auto-Owners Customer Center.
- Your refund will be applied to any outstanding balance on your billing account. Any remainder will be returned via check or your automatic payment method.
- This refund applies to private passenger auto policies.
- If you are a new customer written during the months of April and May you will also be eligible for this refund. Your Policies would need to be in force effective May 31, 2020.
- If you’re an existing customer you must have bodily injury coverage in force on March 31, 2020, in order for the refund to apply.
*APPROVED* Citizens: The Hanover CARES Refund – https://www.hanover.com/COVID-19/customers.html
This week, The Hanover CARES Refund page was rolled out on https://www.hanover.com/ to provide additional information to our customers. We also sent an informational email to those customers with an email address on file. Here’s a summary of how the refunds will be processed:
- The Hanover CARES refund will be a credit of 15% of your monthly auto premium for the months of April and May (for eligible personal lines customers.) To make this as easy as possible, you will automatically receive the credit. No action is required.
- If you have paid your premium in full and do not have an account balance on any of your policies with Citizens/Hanover, you will receive two refund checks; one in May and another in June. If you have other Hanover policies with payment due, your credit will be applied to those balances first.
- If you pay by electronic funds transfer (EFT,) you will receive a credit to your monthly withdrawal in May and June.
- If you have a remaining balance on your auto policy you will receive a credit to your balance owed in May and June.
- The Hanover CARES Refund will be processed in the next month’s billing cycle and will be credited throughout the following month. You will be able to view your refund amount on My Hanover Policy once it has been credited to your policy.
*APPROVED* Frankenmuth Insurance: https://www.fmins.com/coronavirus-covid19-response/
In recognition of all these varied but related economic and financial impacts, we will do what is right and appropriate.
- We will refund 15% of personal auto premiums for April and May.
- Upon regulatory approval, refund checks will be issued for policies in force as of April 30.
- Vehicles included are automobiles, vans, and pickup trucks. The refund does not apply to automobiles in storage, antique vehicles, motorhomes, motorcycles, trailers, and campers.
Additional details will be communicated with you once finalized. There is no action that you need to take to receive your refund checks.
*APPROVED* Fremont Insurance:
Fremont is implementing a Stay at Home discount to that will return premium savings to you, subject to regulatory approval by the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services.
- Fremont will be refunding you 20% of your auto insurance premium for the months of April and May in the form of a credit to your account, pending regulatory approval.
- The refund will be applied as a credit to any outstanding balance on your auto policy. If the credit exceeds your outstanding balance, they will return any excess via refund check to you.
*APPROVED* Hastings: https://www.hastingsmutual.com/Service-Changes-To-Support-You
Hastings Mutual plans to return 15% of the combined March and April 2020 auto premiums to eligible Personal Auto customers, pending regulatory approval.
This refund applies to existing and new policies. No action is needed to receive this refund.
- If your policy is full-pay and does not have any amount past due, the returned premium will be sent as a check to your address.
- If your policy is paid in installments, and there is an existing premium balance due on the policy, the refund amount will be used to pay your balance. Any remainder will be returned to you by check.
Pass-through fees like Michigan’s Catastrophic Claims Association fee are not included in the premium amount used to determine the refund.
We expect to begin distributing checks in late May. Distribution could take up to 14 days.
*APPROVED* Pioneer: https://www.psmic.com/
With the ongoing pandemic and stay-at-home order in Michigan, our presumption is that we will have fewer personal auto claims. While we would normally handle this through our scheduled rate-making process, we believe it is fair and equitable to provide premium relief to you during this time. We appreciate your patience as we have evaluated this and made sure the proper decisions are being made. We are still working out the details and hope to share these with you in the near future. Additionally, adjusting coverages, increasing deductibles, reducing miles to work, and changing vehicle use may be viable options to help you during this time as well.
*APPROVED* Progressive: https://www.progressive.com/support/covid19/
- If you have an active personal auto policy at the end of April, you’ll receive a credit for 20% of your April premium.
- We will offer the same 20% credit to active personal auto customers at the end of May and could offer additional credits in the upcoming months.
- Starting April 1, 2020, we will also waive late fees, hold collections, and hold off on canceling or non-renewing any active policies due to non-payment through May 15, 2020.
- In the meantime, automatic payments will continue to go through unless told to deactivate them. After May 15th, any remaining balance on your policy will become due.
- Secura has decided to provide a 15% refund for April and May auto premium for eligible MILE-STONE policyholders, subject to regulatory approval.
- If you are a MILE-STONE policyholder with an in-force policy as of April 20, 2020, with one or more personal autos on your policy, you will receive this refund.
- There is no action that needs to be taken by you.
- We are seeking regulatory approval in each of our states for this plan and determining the most effective method of delivering the refund to you as quickly as possible to help during this unprecedented time.
- You will be notified of the refund via email if you qualify. You can keep up with Secura’s Insurance Relief Refunds on their social channels and their website: secura.net.